Friday, August 31, 2007

10 years

I never was grief stricken at the death of the Princess of Wales. I didn't know her and cared no more than for any other overadulated celebrity.
The response from the public was completely baffling to me.
I remember going in to the Pearl Assurance office where I was working at the time and during the coffee break the conversation turned to a television programme concerning spontaneous combustion. Someone began explaining that the theory was that the fat in the body kept the flame ignited and burning until all that was left was ashes in the middle and possibly a completely untouched limb or two on the periphery.
At which point I thought it right to interject "So you could say that he lived his life like a candle in the wind" . It was greeted with absolute silence. I got my coat.

3 comments:

FBT said...

some people have no sense of humour.

MacDuff said...

It wasnt that bad a joke surely?

V said...

I disagree... This was a little deep for me, maybe because I am not Brtish so perhaps some of the thing go over my head since I am alien to the culture macduff belongs to. Anyway, cutting it all short - I personally feel she is over-hyped....